Monday, October 10, 2011

The Birth

Nesting instinct complete? Now you’re feeling fed up, listless, claustrophobic but excited, tired and heavy and have you had enough? You only want to meet this little soul that has been growing rapidly in your uterus for the past 40 weeks….Good…That is the first sign that your body is receiving hormones to start the labour process and your mind has realised this and is preparing yet again for more changes.  You may even feel emotional, detached or even focused. 

You have planned every detail preparing for the birth of your little darling.  Unfortunately no matter how much preparation and thought you have put into your ideal birth, it very rarely happens the way you intend. 
The things people don’t tell you about should be kept that way. The less you know the better.  It is also easier to deal with changes if you open your mind and look forward to the outcome.  Yes life after the birth.   
For my first child, I planned a natural drug free birth.  She was 3 weeks late and this was overlooked by the hospital/doctors.  I went in on the early hours of Friday after going to bed and popping something onto the bed that looked like egg white.

Optimistically, scared in the same breath we got our pre-packed bags and off to the hospital.  It was going to be quick, with a birthing pool and a ball.  I got into the pool (I hated it so much I cried for an hour) by the next morning I was in so much pain I succumbed and had an epidural (Second change) and spend the entire day being induced.  I could feel my baby’s head but my body decided to keep her inside.  I decided to calm myself and go with it, erase all preconceived ideas/ideals etc.  Sunday morning came and they told me I was to have a c-section because I couldn’t dilate enough for her to come out and she was starting to stress. 

I relaxed myself and what was to be – was to be… That was the best thing I could have done.  Without a mapped event, my experience and all the undesirable bits became the way it was.  I looked at it as being perfect (even though I knew it wasn’t) When I was taken to my “room” a dinner lady brought me the last sandwich – prawn and mayo…perfect.  Having a laidback attitude made the nurses, midwives and other hospital staff want to help me more and looking back it was perfect. 

Our second baby was appointed a c-section birth as she was going to be bigger than our first nunnu.  It was surreal holding a small 2 year old, knowing that in a few hours we would be holding the little girl growing in my tummy.  Again I refused to have the perfect picture.  I had a laid back attitude and tried to enjoy every part of it.  In my mind I thought having a baby is not an illness, it’s a wonderful life event and every part, no matter how painful, scary, unsightly etc, must be embraced and looked at as perfect.  Again the hospital staff couldn’t do enough.
 
I knew something was unusual within myself the next morning when my hubby was slightly late because he was looking after our moms making sure they had what they needed until he returned. 
My emotions were unlike anything I had ever experienced.  I felt abandoned and desperate.  I couldn’t more because of the catheter and the painful fresh cut.  I was angry, I was tearful and inconsolable…… Thank God for the Midwife/nurse who embraced my cause and convinced me that I was going to cope and who told me to try and to adjust my emotions and pay all my attention to my new baby, until he arrived.  My new baby cried so, so much and when she wasn’t crying she was eating.  I never realised that what I was experiencing was my hormones being totally unbalanced throwing my body into a state of unbalance and turmoil.  I also never realised that without being balanced this raging hormones would continue to wreak havoc until balanced.  Yes ladies, that is the “baby blues”.  It’s are definitely not for sissies/cowards. 
Please if you feel different to your normal self, if you feel you feel unusually emotional or can’t look forward to your new baby, or if you have thoughts that are unlike yourself, please its so important for you to go to your doctor and get those hormones balanced.  If medication is not an option try something like reflexology or acupuncture to help yourself. 

Reflexology works to balance all of your systems.  Your qualified reflexologist will know exactly which reflexes will settle your hormones, relax your mind, balance your systems and create a platform for your body to heal itself.  If you live in West Yorkshire near Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury, Morley and surrounding areas, please contact me.  Visit my website.. www.reflexthesole.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment